Frequently Asked Questions
When is the Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library (HBML) open?
- The Library is open 9-8 Monday through Friday. 10-2 on Saturday
- The Library is closed on Sunday.
- Check the Library's website for holiday hours and/or special closings due to inclement weather or emergency.
Where is the Library located?
- The Library is located at 270 Lilly Chapel Rd, West Jefferson, OH 43162.
- The phone number is 614-879-8448.
- The fax number is 614-879-8668.
Can I return my materials even if the library is closed?
- Yes, the Library has a drive up book and movie drop licated on the street side of the building.
- Materials left in the drop when the Library is closed will be checked in on the morning of the next business day.
How do I get a library card?
- Applications are available at the Information Desk.
- Return the completed applications, with a photo id and proof of current address to the Information Desk.
- Acceptable photo ids are: driver's license, state, school, work or military id, passport or a credit card with a photo.
- Acceptable address verifications are: driver's license, printed personal check, utility bill or a current year vehicle registration.
How long can I keep the items that I have checked out?
- when you receive your new library card you begin a thirty (30) day probationary period. during that time you can have 3 items checked out on your card at any given time, one (1) of which can be a dvd.
- After thirty (30) days, you may have 50 items checked out at any given time five (5) of which can be dvds.
Can I renew materials?
- Yes, materials can be renewed either in person or over the telephone (614-879-8448) provided there is not someone waiting on the reserve list.
- At this time, it is not possible to renew materials online.
Can I reserve materials?
- Yes, materials can be reserved in person, online or over the phone (614-879-8448).
How do I reserve something online?
- You will need to have your library card with you.
- From our Library's website (www.hbmlibrary.org) on the left side of the page, click on "Catalog."
- After you have searched for and found the item you wish to reserve, click on "copies", then click on "reserve". Fill in your card number and your name EXACTLY as it appears on your account. It is case and punctuation sensitive.
Are there fines if I don't return my materials by the due date?
- Yes, fines for each overdue dvds are one dollar ($1.00) per day.
- Overdue fines for all other materials are ten cents (.10) per day.
- Library staff will be happy to renew materials over the phone for you to stop the fines from accruing provided there are no reserves on them.
Can I get something that the Library does not own?
- Yes, the Hurt/Battelle Memorial Library subscribes to a service through which we can request items owned by other participating libraries in the State of Ohio be sent to us.
- Library staff can check for the availability of the item and place the request for you at the Information Desk.
- You may also request that the Director purchase an item for the HBML by filling out a "Request to Purchase" form and returning it to the Information Desk. The decision as to whether or not to add it to the collection will be at the discretion of the Director.